Urinary NMR diagnostics for inborn errors of metabolism using rule-based interpretation (for research use only)
Register to download slides & media
Inborn errors of metabolism are rare diseases that often provide a typical pattern of elevated metabolites in biological fluids like urine, blood (plasma or serum) or cerebrospinal fluid. More than 1,000 different diseases are known. Because of the different chemical classes of those metabolites, the most commonly used methods are gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC/MS), liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry (LC/MS) and other chromatographic methods. However, by using NMR analysis, which is a highly reproducible and quantitative method, it is possible to quantify simultaneously metabolites from a wide range of different substance classes such as organic acids, amino acids, purines and pyrimidines, and other small molecules.
In this SelectScience webinar, Prof. Dr. med. Friedrich Trefz, Senior Medical Consultant for Bruker BioSpin, and Dr. Georg Frauendienst-Egger, Senior Medical Consultant Neonatology at the Clinical Center Reutlingen, will demonstrate the potential of computer-assisted interpretation and linking disease markers identified by NMR to the metagene database. The automatic generation of a list of potential diagnoses using a rule-based informatics approach will be shown.
- How to generate an NMR quantitative report on the basis of 150 metabolites
- How to link this report to the metagene database
- How clinical and general laboratory findings can be included and enhance the diagnostic power
- How the method can be used to automatically get proposals for a patient’s disease
- The value of a patient’s diagnosis repository for documentation and training
Who should attend?
- Scientists and clinicians involved in the diagnosis and treatment of patients with inborn errors
- Scientists and laboratory professionals interested in new NMR-based metabolomics applications
1980-86: Medical studies FU Berlin
1986 -92: Residency in Paediatrics and Neonatology Univ. Würzburg, Set-up of a metabolic outpatient clinic and laboratory, Board certification in Paeditrics and Neonatology
1992- Klinikum Reutlingen: Senior Consultant Neonatology, Set-up of a metabolic outpatient clinic and laboratory